Wednesday 24 April 2013

Changing horses: the full story

Yesterday we took Lucie to Monpazier to join the herd and meet the stallion there. It was a quite a day for all of us. I hate seperating the horses and always feel terrible about it, they hate change and so do I. Lucie came with me quite happily, she loaded easily in the trailer and was allowed to move freely, back doors closed, front top open; after all while you could see her little head looking out enjoying the air, ears pricked! So good for travelling to be a positive happy experience. When we arrived the herd there came rushing to the fence to greet the new arrival. We unloaded Lucie and everyone laughed because she is orange with contact with our red clay, compared to the white & grey of the Camargues there.

I was going to take home the 5 yo I had liked on previous visits, if she loaded. With some very expert calm direction from the guy whose trailer outfit it was (Christian Cazor, probably the best horseman I know), she loaded in about 10', amazing for a horse that has barely been out of the field.

Then Lucie was released into the herd, I have some video of that when I have time to process it. She wasn't at all phased by a herd of about 20 horses surrounding her. I'll go & see her next week but she's in good company there.

Back home, I was dropped off with Tayene at the end of the lane so I could get connected with her on the walk home. She was a handful, very stressy, but by about halfway she accepted to walk fairly calmly with me but was very tense and distracted.

Seraphina was waiting. My neighbour had been keeping an eye on her. Fina wasn't too happy that it wasn't Lucie coming back. Tayene didn't think much of Fina. They say horses are racist. I would agree that they know their own sort and it was interesting that when Lucie touched noses and met Tayene, as we did the exchange, there was instant empathy. Fina is very different, her breed and her look must be apparent to other horses too.

In retrospect, I didn't prepare for this meeting as well as I'd prepared when Fina met Lucie for the first time. I released Tayene into the field with Fina, she was becoming very anxious and pushy, so I thought just let them sort it out in the field. Result: Tayene galloping up & down, Fina chasing her (video to come). I had to go in for a pee & a drink & when I came back, they were gone!!!! Tayene had galloped through the opening into the next field, crashing through two lines of electric fencing, pursued by Fina. I saw them briefly then they disappeared into the woods. I grabbed bucket and halters and galloped round myself but no sign, so I got the car out thinking maybe Tayene would head off in the direction of home. Thankfully found them, they'd cornered themselves in wood and brambles down the lane and were happy to be rescued, both tired and sweaty. Walked them home abandoning car & bucket. Spent time grooming and settling them, then manipulated Tayene as it had become obvious she had never been taught to yield to pressure, in fact I was wondering by now what the hell I had done. After a while she softened & when I led them back to the field she accepted being asked to step back or move aside and was mirroring Fina too which was great as I had to take them with me to mend the fence; they stood quietly and respectfully while I did so but had to shut off one field as there was a breach in the electric wire & they knew the weakness at the point.

Eventually I let them off again, but Fina just wouldn't leave Tayene alone to explore & settle; so I stayed with them, moving between Fina & Tayene to interrupt the pattern. Fina can't help it but she fully understood when I asked her to stay apart from Tayene, & she stood respectfully near me. Eventually T started to settle but I had to step in a couple of times. I gave them their small evening feed and some hay & left them eating the hay peacefullyish at dusk, wondering if there was any chance I'd still have two horses there in the morning.

I have, otherwise I wouldn't be here writing this; but there's work to do on young Tayene and I'm thinking OMG what have I done and Fina & I are missing Lucie dreadfully.

Fina & Lucie, before departure

Reception committee for the new arrival, Lucie

Fina and Tayenne shortly before she went through the fence (read the body language... )



No comments:

Post a Comment